Moonlight Sonata (Movement 1) - Beethoven

17.11.10

What I Feel in Virabhadrasana II

     It's one thing to describe a posture and another to actually do it. Am I consciously thinking of every muscle and position for all my body parts at every second while performing warrior two? No, but I try. Keep these muscles contracted, keep this up, and this down, and those pointed that way.
     Still, virabhadrasana II is one of my favorite standing poses. It's not easy by any means, but it's an asana that I find myself comfortable in and able, on some level, to relax and work on my breathing without stressing too much about the positions of my hands, feet, or hips. The first few times we tried this posture in class, we did it against the wall, which was a good thing; I would have surely fallen over otherwise. However, through practice and a better understanding of virahadrasana II, I'm able to stand on my own, with a relatively good posture. Thinking about the muscular actions doesn't come before remembering to breathe and thinking that I'm capable, and because of that, I feel better about myself.

No comments: